01 Nov Is a work/life balance possible?
As we enter the second last month of the year we are sure you are feeling, as we are, that life is extremely busy and that the Christmas break is creeping (or rather running) up to greet us! And although this busyness is nothing new for parents, there is something about this time of year that makes it harder, more stressful. Perhaps it’s that our bodies are starting to feel the need to wind down after a busy year or perhaps it’s that everyone wants things done right now! School, work, family – there are so many demands on our time and a sense of panic starts to form as December looms.
So how do we get back to a balance? Is a work/life balance even possible especially at this time of year? We believe it is, but it’s hard and takes some work. We have put together the below tips that help our team find that balance and we hope will help you too.
- Planning. Put some time into creating a schedule for the upcoming weeks. This will help to make things feel more manageable and the tasks less daunting. Try to be as organised as possible from the outset and things should fall into place more easily.
- Make some time for yourself. Even if it is simply getting up 30 minutes before the rest of your family to enjoy a quiet cup of tea. Carving out even the smallest amount of time for yourself can help you feel more centred, more in control, more balanced.
- Write down 1 thing you did well today. It sounds so small but keeping a record each day of one achievement or one thing you are proud of will help remind you that you are coping. Having a sense of accomplishment and realising your own achievements, while difficult for many parents, is vital to your well-being.
- Don’t set yourself impossible tasks. So often we set ourselves up to fail by either taking too much on or not asking for help when we need it. Identify areas where you need help or tasks that you feel will be too much of a stretch.
- Make use of your tribe. Ask for help! It is so important and something that is so needed for every parent. Behind every successful parent is a lot of help and support from their village. You are not meant to struggle alone.
At Cool (kids’) Cabs we consider ourselves to be part of your tribe. Yes, we are a service, but rather we see ourselves as an extension of your village and as an integral part of your day to day routine. It’s a personal relationship entrusting someone to lift your child – we get it! Most of our staff are moms themselves so we really understand the need to have a tribe of helpers around you who you can rely on and trust.
“We appreciate all the support you have given us over the years, and we saw you and your team like an additional ‘member of our family’ who we always knew would safely and efficiently transport our beautiful young lady to and from where she needed to be!” – Imogen Tarita
The life of a parent can be overwhelming and finding that work/life balance can often seem impossible. However just remember that this ‘balance’ looks different for all of us and some days we might feel we have it waxed and other days not to so much. We hope the above tips will go some way in helping you create the right balance for you and your family.
If you would like some assistance over the busy exam and holiday period, please get in touch to find out about our ad hoc lifting service: https://coolkidscabs.co.za/request-a-quote/